Thursday, October 12, 2006

Arranged Marriage

X is some lady/man related to me by some relation. Apparently they always seems to be very concerned about me .. or should I say my marriage.

Me : Hey aunty, Good news. I got salary raise.
X : Wow. Very good. How much you will get now?
Me : I will get xxxxx per month now, Isn’t it cool?
X (with sad expression on her face): Errr… that’s good.
Me : Why? What happened? You are not happy?
X : Ohh… no nothing like that. I am happy for u. But just concerned, already we are having hard time finding a guy to match ur current salary and again raise means more problem.
Me : What?? Mine is just normal one. Not even “Good” as per industry standard.
X : I don’t know all that. See all we want for you is to get you a good boy from good family, get married and settle down.
Me : What about my job and all the study I have done?
X : Girl has to always sacrifice ,dear.
Me : So you want me to scarify my career for some junk guy u are searching. You shouldn’t have sent me out at first place then.

… I can bear comments on my short nose, even shorter height, weight, tummy, teeth … everything else but not this, definitely not this. I know what my father had gone through to get me where I am. And I am not gonna leave it for such reasons.

I don’t know what is with all these people my so-called relative and well-wishers. They can’t just think about anything else than my marriage. And they will find the “junk”est guy. These guys and particularly their parents (GP) think that their son has come from some heavenly place. See some examples (they are real incidents)

Case 1:
GP(with loot of pride) : Oh all that is fine. But our son is very brilliant do you think you daughter will be able to match up his intelligence. He has got blah blah blah. (sidey degree from some sidey college)
My Mom: Great!!! My daughter has SSC rank, GATE score and won state level quizzes. I think they will make good pair
GP(scared voice): Errr…
Not to mention they never contacted back.

Case 2:
GP: We are very open minded people. We will give all the freedom to our daughter-in-law.
My Mom: Oh very well. So I think our children should meet once since they are working in same city. If they like each other, we can talk further.
GP: Uh oh… that will happen only after we have finalized the girl. See, We are respected family and our relatives would not appreciate this. We would like to see the girls first here with all the family. (mind you my place is at least 1000 km away from here and it takes at least 5 days and 2000 bucks to and fro journey)

I didn’t go.

Case 3:
GP: Oh your girl has spectacles. I hope she wears contact lenses all the time. Specs don’t look good on saree you see.
(What the hell? You want a new family member or show-piece)


And the list goes on.

Current mood: Reeeeeaaaaaaallly frustrated

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOLz :) ,very funny.concern of such concerned ppl really gets onto nerves many a time.
but kya kare,till you get married ,you will have to bear with this ordeal :)

Unknown said...

Ohhh its real painful. I hate to go home due to these people.The searching for guy and other process is just too much. I can't believe such people exist in the word. If you are a gal you will understand all these pain :-)

Anonymous said...

am not a gal,but yes seen ppl going thru this ,and didnt appreciate it at all...