Sunday, July 01, 2007

A Thing about Silence

Do you ever feel like not talking at all? I mean you are sitting with bunch of people, everyone is talking, laughing and you just listen to all the sounds but don’t feel like saying anything. Or you want to get away to a silent place where there is no one but your thoughts to accompany you. I guess everyone feels like that once in a while. I know I do and I feel it all the time. There are many moments when I just want to listen or I want things to happen without saying anything. Like when I get up in the morning and get ready for office, I like to do things in silence. I hate if anyone breaks that early morning serenity. I guess I want to have those silent moments some more before I get out on the noisy roads. Believe me whenever I manage to have such mornings, my day goes absolutely perfect. I cannot bear too much of noise. It’s a wonder that I like rock music!

Its not that I am angry with people around me or with the world… I am just out of words. If I am with someone, I want the silence do the talking. Oh no… it’s not “naino se baate” and that kind of romantic stupidity. Sometimes it really bores me to mention each and everything explicitly in words. There are very few people with whom I can be comfortable in silence too. It is a funny thing actually; you don’t want to say a thing to the other person but you can’t be comfortable with everyone that way.

I guess I am not a person of words at least too much of words wasted in speech. I hate to sit in prolonged meeting discussing same thing again and again. After certain limit my mind switches off and goes off to a place far far away. I know this is not good; its not sign of a good professional, good team player… but that’s the way it is. You cannot make your mind function against its will, can you? I was not like this always. I was born a chatterbox. People from my neighborhood still remember how much I used bore them with my gibberish :-). But gradually it changed. My favorite childhood pastime was to watch kids play on the huge ground in front of my house. I could sit for hours doing that. These days my favorite place is my gallery. I like to watch the planes fly past. That is always my favorite part of the weekend.

Meditation experts suggest that silence purifies your soul. I donno if that applies to me. Most of the times I don’t even remember what I was thinking; thoughts just drift wide directions. Some people think that it is weird to be that way. Some think I am too proud to talk to people. I have tried to break that conception but I just don’t find the words.

Do you think it is really weird to be out of words?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) , I guess its not . I hate it when ppl ping me when I am lost in thoughts ,in world of my imagination :) .and last thing I wud expect at that moment is , someone asking me ,"kya hua yaar,kuch to bolo" . and sadly , ppl come up with this line often :)

Shirsha said...

In reply to your question, I think its perfectly alright to be out of words, to be out of action, to be just sitting and htinking or dreaming... it doesn't always have to be a action-packed life whr something keeps happening and thrs always conversations etc...
Am slowly realising htis and accepting this :)

Unknown said...

@Apoorv
It happens with me all the time. I really get irritated most of the times. Worst comment to get is 'tuze muzse baat nahi karni hai' or 'tu muzse naraaz hai'. I say WTH !!!

@Shrisha
Yah, life doesn't have to be happening all the time. If we feel like being with ourselves or being calm and dreaming, it should be perfectly all right.

Anonymous said...

:)

Anonymous said...

mam.. you explain all this using so many words and write "bores me to mention each and everything explicitly in words" .. and you say that you don't feel like talking ..:-).. that means .. you enjoy typing more than talking ;-)..
kidding .. !!
fact of life is .. you are your best friends .. and you don't need to talk to yourself.. and that brings in the silence that everyone enjoy.
Probably one who hates him/her self or wanna stay away from their thougths .. will never enjoy that silence .. ever. .

try this type of silence when you are deeply hurt..

neways ..
I like your way of expressing things .. :-)

--Rakhi

Tys on Ice said...

..ahhh...hmmmm..( )
well, thats that then. Nice.

Unknown said...

@Rakhi,
You are write I do enjoy writing/typing more than speaking. I can arrange my thoughts more properly this way :-).
I agree with you. People who are not comfortable with themselves cannot be silent for a long. They need noise/sound to keep those thoughts away.
Being silent when you are hurt is good cure. This way it helps to subside the anger sometimes it comes out in the form of tears :-)

@tys
I guess you don't like to waste words on comments :-)

Anonymous said...

ustad ! bohot silence ho gaya ,kuch toh bhi likh ab :D

Unknown said...

Posted something today. Lets wait for the weekend for better one to come out :-)

SATYAKAM said...

WoW!!!I didn't know we share many things in common; switching to silence is one... One of the reason why i stopped coming to lunch with the group was that i desperately needed to traverse the inner domains... alone... Even now I have not come out of the chasm...

One of my recent blog "A dream yet to see" is nothing but an expression of my inner craving (or state)...

Coming to ur question
>>Do you think it is really weird to be out of words?

Getting out of word is not getting out of mind (or weird)... Never... Have u ever seen how water boring happens? When the drilling machine touches the ground entire surroundnings get covered by dust... AS the drilling progresses dust content reduces, wet soil starts coming out and finally the water... just before water spurts out there is a lull period when nothing comes out... Silence is that state...

Silence has been a strong weapon of great people... mind it not famous people (gr8 ppl r not always famous)...

Too much of PRAVACHAN...
~Sattu Boss