Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Weekend trek

Someone has complained that I am getting too senti with my poems. So I have decided to stop writing (I mean posting :-)), unless I come with a funny poem. Yeah that's what I want to write next time. Mission humorous poem! Also my brother is taking pains to read my poems and I want to save him from that (for the time being :-)).

Here is my account for a weekend trek I had been to. I had started writing it loong time ago but just was lazy to finish it till today :-D. Tell me if you like it.

========

What is your dream place like?

Well... mine would be a place with loots of greenery and fresh air and away from all the hustles of city life. Sounds like heaven naa?? It does to me; and guess what, I had chance to come closer to what I dream of.

Last Friday, my friend asked if I could join him for a biking trip. Biking trip? Now this something I have never done. Given my special affinity with two-wheelers, specially the back seats (I was thrown off bike TWICE!), I am always bit hesitant to be in non-driver's seat. But he promised to be good driver plus early morning trip to fresh nature is irresistible, Isn't it? So the plan was to start at 5 in the morning, drive all the way to the place called "Savandurga", around 60 km away from Bangalore, go around for some time and come back by lunch time. Good plan, I can finish my sleep after coming back :-). I had absolutely no idea about what the place is like.

So like an "acchi bacchi" I got up 4 o'clock, was ready by 5 (This has to be special mention cause only I know how it is painful to get up sooo early on a Saturday morning :D). U picked me up and we were supposed to meet other people joining us whom I didn't know at all. They turned out to be nice people, a couple and two more guys, everyone being enthu and regular trekker/explorer. Most imp thing, no one knew exact route to the place :-). So there was usual ritual of asking auto driver for direction and everybody insisting he knows the better route. It's the best part of traveling on Indian roads; everyone is more than willing to tell you direction and their own free opinion about the road condition and everything else. We being the least literate about road followed our fellow bikers all the way. It was amazing to see the amount traffic on roads at those wee hours, do these people ever sleep? After asking here and there we set out for our (unknown!!) destination.

There was no chance to steal some sleep on bike ride because I had little confidence on my driver's direction sense (cause he thinks even 8 km is tooo away to remember directions :P) and the road was too bad to allow me not noticing the bumps for a while. Also he threatened me that he might fall asleep while driving so I had to be on vigil :-D. But being awake was worth the view around... absolutely breathtaking! There were huge rocks spread on the green background, like brat has spread his pebbles all over in a green garden. Bikes were stopped at a place to take pictures around It was beautiful site and while we were busy admiring the view S exclaimed, "That's the place we have to go!" pointing to a looong standing peak, it was solid rock structure with a cloud ring around its crest like a white crown on its head. And my reaction was "What? Weren't we supposed to just bike around". I was not prepared to actually trek :D.

We reached the mountain base huffing-puffing.. drivers exhausted with driving the bikes with skill of rally-biker, finding patches of road in the pot-holes and poor bikes exhausted of climbing the rough road (?). Apparently this place is an "eco-tourism" spot and there is park at the bottom for weak-hearted people like me and fort + temple at the top for trekkers and devotees. It looked like a steep rising above our head and boy oh boy I was scared to climb that up (seriously). We crossed lot of locals on our way up and climbing up the slope seemed to daily ritual for them :). At the bottom of the mountain there was again confusion on which path to take. A bunch of enthu kids took us to right place. The way up is clearly marked with arrows and we were advised not the leave the path if we wished to come back alive. The way up WAS steep. Since it was solid rock it was difficult to climb up wit shoes on. The best solution was to tie shoes around neck... yeah yeah yeah most of us did that. And no, I didn't, cause I was wearing slip-ons :D.
Me and S almost gave up twice on the way up but the toiling was worth it. It was a beeeeeautiful day with not too bright sun and not too many clouds. It showered in between but that was just for few seconds.

We were around 3000+ feet above the sea level. There was not a considerably big human population in the range of sight, save the small town at hill base. On one side I could see there were solid rock hills with huge rocks place on each other in unbelievable asymmetry. Looked like they could fall any time and crush 10 people at once. Patches of green grass grown everywhere they could find place in between those rocks. On the other side there was huge flat land with lush green fields and a river twisting between them. Since the morning was little bit cloudy, I could see patches of sunlight scattered on the green fields. It was astonishing sight, one circle of the field lightened with sunlight like taking center stage in the clouded area around it, river water adding sparkle to it. The sight took away all the fatigue. I wanted to get drenched on the mountain top... but no luck :-(. Just took a nap the fast blowing wind.

Ahhh... now that's the place I would love to build my home and settle down for life. We were actually discussing the idea of building a direct path from there to our offices, may be another flyover for our dear Bengalooru. How wonderful that would be!!
Go trekking people!

3 comments:

Shirsha said...

cool! finally someone writes abt that trek!
Btw, what we climbed was about 3k feet above sea level. the temple, whr the rest of them continued to was 4k feet above sea level. so that correction... shud be in place to tell the tale of a bigger achievement than you think it is :)

Unknown said...

Hey Shirsha,
Thanks for visiting my blog and thanks for the correction ! I have corrected it :-).
Even if it were 1k feet it wud hv beeen huge achievment for me :D

Anonymous said...

He he he,I had this feeling to stay back everytime I went to ooty ..I thought life wud be far better there selling chai/coffee than coming down the hill and be part of the rat race :)..