Sunday, April 08, 2007

When I go to Pune…

Yeah I was there again (Don’t ask me the reason why !!!) As I had said earlier Pune is a city which is expected to be loved by all Marathi people and it is assumed by all (including myself) that I will also be settling down there someday or other. The thought of going there scars me for no reason. My cousin claims once you go to Pune you can’t live anywhere. I used to think same for Mumbai. But I managed to survive in Bangalore, in fact I am practically in love with this city. I remember first six months of my stay here when I was frantically searching for opportunities to leave the city but the it hasn’t let me go yet :-). Who knows… I might like Pune, as well! Anyways who has seen the future!!! Let’s talk about things I did in Pune.

I had the whole afternoon to spare and was very very hungry till the time I was free. I asked cousin to take me to a place where I can have good Marathi food. I miss the food many times, you see. It’s not like I don’t like the food I have here but then … home food is after all home food. The taste you grow up will never leave you. Like for me, any dish is made perfectly when it tastes and smells just like mom’s. We went to this place called ‘Café Shreyas’ where they have dining hall. They have Marathi style thali with everything served unlimited.

Now the concept of typical Marathi food is vague. Like the language, Marathi food changes its taste every 10 miles. The western Maharashtrian food is the spiciest of all. Any thing prefixed with ‘Kolhapuri’ is the hottest food around. It is the kind of food that will heat up your ears and get water from your nose (That’s the kinda expression a friend uses; if a food items manages to heat up your senses particularly the ear lobes and make eyes and nose water it is hot; “Yaar yeh to kaan me dhua wala khana hai” she goes) The Kolhapuri mutton/chicken rassa (curry) is world famous in Maharashtra :-D. And Puneri food is the sweetest. They would put sugar in everything, from sabji to samabar. In the part of state where I come from, we like to put lot of garlic and onions in every dish. Ours is the region where sabjis are available only during rainy season, so we have habit of preserving vegetables year round. And the dried vegetables, lentils, different kinds of pickles are regulars in our food. My town being close to Andra and Karnataka border, the food has both the state influences. So the delicacies like ‘Bisi bele bhath’, ‘Puliogare’ were not complete strangers to me. The north Karnataka food is very close to the kinda food we have. In all, I feel specialty of Marathi food is that we preserve original taste of the ingredients and we use very less spices as compared to northie and southie food. I should actually try to put together simple recipes sometime.

What would be my idea of a perfect thali…?? Hmmm… let me think. It can be either Jowar roti (jolda roti as they call it in Karnataka), peanut chutney mixed with curd (aka yogurt), raw onion; that’s the ‘gaon ka treat’ or just aamras (mangoes from our farm are better than those five star alphansos) and roti or poori; or the elaborate festive food. The plate has sixteen vegetables (dry and gravy), at least 5-6 kinds of chutneys, 3-4 kinds of papads, bhajiyas, sweet rice, plain rice, aamti (marathi version of rasam), sambar type dal, plain daal and most important of all... weak point of every Marathi manus, the puran poli with loads of ghee on it. And yes every food item has to be served on defined place in the plate, and in defined order. So first and foremost there has to be a pinch of salt put in the dish. Vegetables are served on the right hand side and chutneys/salads on the left hand side of the dish. Ahhh… you should just see the way it is served, the site itself is fulfilling. Well I can go on and on about it, but lets get back to the description of food I had :-D

There was aloo curry, another curry (I donno name of the sabji in English or Hindi), aamti, daal with tamrind, dry sabji, cucumber raita (koshimbir), 2 types of bhajiyas, papad, masala poories, plain poories, phulkas, dal-rice, star of the plate unlimited dahiwadas aaaaand aamras (yummmm!!!). Wow… we must have hogged like anything. It didn’t digest for whole day. It all culminated with sweeet natural watermelon ice crème. To add to the foodie pleasures, I bought myself pack of bakharwadis and kaju katalis from the Chitale Bandhu. I had to walk back home from the airport to make a little room in my tummy.

I want more journeys like that !!!

13 comments:

Shirsha said...

so u did go to pune! aamras, yumm yumm!

Unknown said...

Yeh I was there, but just for a day i.e. on Friday. BTW I also got the gingery thing I mentioned in my previous post... Its yumm ! :-)

Unknown said...

Also... have you tried the aamras made by sqeezing mangos by hand not in mixi. Its awsome !!!

Sushil Page said...

I have been to this place few times. Its really has yummy grub. I miss that food :(

Shirsha said...

yeah thats somehow lumpy and yummy, i like aamras chilled...

Unknown said...

@Sushil
Welcome to my blog :-)
That place is indeed cool. I am sure gonna make more trips there whenever I am in Pune

@Shirsha
The more lumpy it is, the more tasty it gets... I too like chilled aamras !!!

Anonymous said...

I was in pune for a coupla days and the only things I can remember are sheesha cafe and german bakery cos that's where i spent most of my time.. I was there 3 days in a row and the manager of sheesha recognised me at the end of it.. slisha embarrasing!

Anonymous said...

puna is gorumet`s delight .especially for veggies :) .
and well kolhpuri food ,yumm :D .last year ,on the way to Goa we stopped by at kolhapur for lunch .and It was one of the finest meals of my life :)

Unknown said...

Yeh... if you can eat the sweetish food. Its heaven for chats. I heard other cuisins are also not bad.
Kolhapuri food is bindas like the people !!!

Amol Birajdar said...

Yeah Ashlesha....Ashley is definitely better and more friendly (no western inclination, just being big supporter of user-friendly methodology)

Good to know your interest in food and the comparisons delicacies of different regions.

I think you have missed on the Eastern India; it has some amazing dishes.

Orissa: Pokhaal, Dalma
Bengal: Won't be justice if I quote only couple of them.

Between it was nice reading your blog.

Unknown said...

He he he... thanks!!! Me too love this short form of my name, its been kinda stuck with me from college days.
And I am fervent food lover... so I tend to taste whenever I get a chance :-). I have tried Bengali food but never got chance to try Oria food.
BTW If I am not wrong I remember you complaining about your mess food during your college days :-D.

Anonymous said...

Aint Ash even shorter and better :D ?

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!