Friday, April 20, 2007

When it rains...

The air was chilly, water drops were hitting my face real hard. It was pouring cats and dogs. I couldn’t make out was there at arms length. With water all over my specs, the visibility was even lesser (How I wish my specs had wipers!) Everyone was running for shelter, there was huge crowd below the Domlur flyover and slow moving traffic on the road. And there was I, driving slowly and steadily, navigating my way through puddles of water. I must have driven for hardly a kilometer or so. Till the time I reached the place I was totally drenched, water dripping from jeans, shoes. My jacket was helpless in the piercing rain. My hands were totally frozen and I was shivering with cold. Thankfully there was helmet so head was intact. The disadvantage was that I could take much water in my mouth. The rain water tastes soo sweet.

Oh no… I am not describing one of my dreams. It happened… it happened yesterday night when it rained in Bangalore. And it was not just yesterday that it rained. The rain gods have taken pity on us Bangaloreans melting away in the April heat and have been pouring frequently since last week. Yesterday was their strongest performance and first time, I got drenched in rain. There was no emergency as such to go driving in the rain. I just wanted to go. I wish I could spread my arms and run in the rain. At least I got to enjoy the drive :-).

The temperature display near my office reads 25 degrees which is huge relief for us from the 40degrees just a week ago. The air still has intoxicating smell of wet soil, cool breeze greets me every time I open my window. I can sit for hours in my gallery with a cup of coffee watching the planes fly past. Ahh… so beautiful! But the sad part is that I will have to go away from this bliss for a while in the land of frequent power cuts and scorching heat. That is correct, I am going home for a week. Till then all you Bangalore people enjoy the rain and pray that it rains till I come back. And others burning in heat, be jealous at Bangalore people :-D.

3 comments:

Shirsha said...

it is awesome bangalore weather, the part abt bangalore that is the best!

K Pavan Kumar said...

rain transforms everything into a loveable stuff-the smell of wet soil, the buzz it makes on touching the ground, the whole new stream of fresh air..a lot in a single word!
btw ur blog reminds me of a lovely song from Blue Umbrella film...
Baarish kaa jo rishtaa haaii..
Shayad Bangalore ke saath baarish ka rishtha bahut acha hai :)

Unknown said...

@Shirsha
You are right. After you get used to the weather it is difficult to go aywhere else.

@Pavan
Surprisingly I cannot think of a rain song tright now to describe this rain.
And yes Bagalore and rain make a good combination except the times wehn I had to travel on hosur road and it took 4 full hours to cross thoad due to flooding :-(