Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Evening to remember....

They say… everything that starts well should end well…

So was true about my weekend. It started with the most amazing musical performance I have attended yet! If you know me you know that I am the biggest music lover… any kind of music be it rock or classical is good for me. There always song playing my head. Do all people have song of the day… like my today’s song is Numb/Encore- Lynkin Park!
So my roomie wanted to go for this show “Concert for Bangalore
” (or something like that)… I agreed because my favorite musician of all times… Ustad Zakir Husain was going to play. All my study hours(though they were not too long :D) in school were spent with his music playing on the background. The man is pure magic on tabla!!! There used to other classical music performances in house too. Dad being big fan of classical music, most of our mornings used to start with Bismilla Khan’s sanai or Ravi Shankar’s sitar. But after leaving home, I was more oriented towards vocals than instrumental music.

So when I decided to go for this concert it was more of, ‘ok I can give her company…’ we managed to drag one more friend along with us (big time rock fan like me). Oh I forgot to mention the other musician, legendary Ustad Amjad Ali khan. Apparently they were playing together after more than a decade in Bangalore.

The evening started late due the traffic jams and all chaos. The ground was more or less full and I was surprised to see young crowd outnumbering uncles and aunties. We were sitting far far away from the stage. Everything there looked like colored dots moving around. Amjad Ali khan started the concert with the note ‘we haven’t even talked about what we will be playing tonight. Everything we play is decided as the mood sets and cannot be repeated again. Call it simplicity, magic or difficulty of our music. This performance is especially for you Bangalore!’ Wow… How amazing is that! And his fingers started moving smoothly on the sarod. The music was so enchanting that I never felt the need to stand up and ‘see’ them perform. It’s the kind of music that touched the heart and enlightens your senses… you can actually ‘feel’ it. There was kinda smile on everyone’s face that tells you are absolutely delighted, through out the performance and the heads were nodding automatically with every twist in the symphony. I have zero understanding of the ragas to tell what all they played. There was some evening ragas, holi raga and prayer to Ganesha. And there was the full moon to witness it all.

I have been to couple of live music performances… mostly rock. They were mind blowing. But the rock music bangs in the head, and this music plays softly with your heart. Ahhh… I am so happy that I was there. I still have that smile on my face. And the thought that I might not be able to attend the ‘Iron Maiden’ conert, hurts less :-).

The weekend ended with laugh riot called ‘Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd’ a.k.a HTPL. I haven’t heard people talking too good things about it but I liked it. It’s a nice concept, could have been better, but still… a good try. There was this scene which I should not miss to mention:

Background: They are the perfect couple. Been together for 16 years and never had a single fight. They have choices, likes dislikes, cloths and even bags too! Too sweet to digest!! One morning the gal discovers that her man has been absconding for hours. She get angry and they have their first fight. After lot of convincing, the guy agrees to tell her the secret. He takes her to a lonely place at wee hours.

Guy: Dekho, abhi job hi kuch tum dekhegi usase darna nahi. Always remember that I love you.
Gal: What are you saying ? You are freaking me out.
Guy: This has to come out one day. Please say that you won’t get angry with me.
Gal: Please tell me what is it? I am freaking.
Gal: Dekho sambhalke.
(He stands up and zooooooom. He is a super hero!)
Gal: Oh I am so happy.
Guy is puzzled. She stands up and zooooooom. She is the super gal too ! Bravo !!!

Gal: Isiliye hum logon me aaj tak zagada nahi hua. Super man aur super women 16 saal me sirf ek baar zagadate hai

Me was ROTFL :-) :-) :-)

In between there was Jalebi and Baigna ka bharta (yummy!), at ‘Chilly Pepper’. Though it has Chinese name, the place serves amazing northie food… truly ‘exceptional food’ as their tag line goes. And the huge soooper scooper at corner house… I just can’t get enough of ice-cream these days :-). Friends and F.R.I.E.N.D.S. were there all along to keep nice company. Though I missed a trekking trip… but will make that soon:-).

6 comments:

Shirsha said...

u sure u didn't make up that bit form the movie, it seems hilarious, did they actually have stuff like that!?

Unknown said...

I am very much positive. You can confirm it from anyone who has watched the movie :-). There are two more scenes I didn't mention
1. The gal and boy are dancing a latino dance, the girl taks a twril and is literelly floating in the air for couple of seconds before coming in the boy's arms

2. One man is sleeping under a coconut tree. A coconut is about to fall on his head. The gal spots it(she is more than 10 feet away from him) and goes flying across to catch the coconut just in time.

Now you think I made that up !

Anonymous said...

and there was a bugger in between ,to compansate for otherwise a wonderful weekend :)

Unknown said...

Nope ... actually the 'bugger' comes in the category of friend who always keeps good company

Shirsha said...

:D I have to watch this movie, am sure it'll tickle me into lafing how incredible a story can get!

Unknown said...

Yeah you should watch it ... though I played a spoiler by putting up the funny and unexpected part, I think you iwll still enjoy it :-)