Thursday, January 12, 2006

Being a girl

I have had great childhood. I consider myself lucky for having the kind of parents I have.

I have been brought up in a place which is almost a village. People behave like they are still living in 17th century. They would make stories if they see a girl standing next to a boy ... forget talking... just standing next to each other. They will stare you from top to bottom as if you have come form some different world if you are wearing jeans. When I used to take my driving lessons and go to our village (which is hardly 10 kms from the place where I was living) people would run behind the car to see a girl driving a car as if it some 8th wonder of the world.

All of my schoolmates(gals) were tought from the childhood that they are born just for one purpose.. to get married. Once they manage to get a good boy purpose of their life is solved. What bullshit ? When I was thinking about a good story I have just read or some news they would be busy gossiping about how some guy is They will have to ask their parents 100 times to go for a movie. They will have rules at home like donot go out of house after 7:30, you are not allowed to dance on the stage (Humare ghar ki izzat stage pe kaise naach sakati)

I remember two events very distinctively.
I had just completed my engineering and sitting jobless at home for a while. Then I decided to join a start up. One of my classmates(gal) was also supposed to join with me. So I call her up and her father speaks me "Why do you want to go so away from home just to do a simple job? Why do you need to take up a job in the first place? Isn't it enough that we have given you the opportunity to study instead of getting you married earlier? You have already stayed out of home for 4 years. You have to get married anyway and act as your husband says. You can work of he is okay with that. Till then why don't you sit at home and spend some time with your family"

Thes there was another man, doctor, supposed to be one the "most modern" people in out locality. It was when I was leaving my home to take up my current job at place very far away from my home. He was like .. "Why do need to make a career at first place. See a girl is always tied to a chain. Its another end is with her father before getting married and with her husband after she gettes married. She has to move as and when the chain directs her to. She is never supposed be free. Why do you want go so far when the chain is going to pull you back anyway? "

Huuuh ...!!! see where our country is going ?

No comments: