Tuesday, January 16, 2007

On my way to home, I see two kids everyday, a boy and little girl. Probably they are siblings. They sit on the pavement, the boy with his face lowered and girl is sleeping in his lap. Every time I see her, she is either crying and kicking him or sleeping peacefully. The boy never moves a bit. It’s been months I have been seeing them but I haven’t seen his face yet. People walk over them, some keep fruits, biscuits and some utter words of pity under their breath. And there are some, totally unaware of their existence. They return everyday, sit through whole day, like it’s a fixed job for them. I want to take them home. But my friend says they will have parents watching from somewhere and might cause trouble. She has faced something like this earlier. We can’t even take them to a rehab centre.
This is depressing sight … So are the children at traffic signals…some trying to sell ear-buds, laundry bags and some pretending to have some sort for injury or fracture. They are sweet children with bright eyes and innocent smiles… But unlike like any other kids…they have to earn their own food. They in fact seem to enjoy doing what they are doing and always resist any attempts to be taken to rehab centre. Their so-called parents always use them as means of income and would not want them to get any good food/clothing or education. They are denied basic rights of childhood by their own flesh and blood and the whole society.
Being daughter of a gynecologist, I have seen people dying to have children, people having 10 girls just to have a male-child. There are people who would go places just to have a baby, would spend money like water and worship every possible god. And here are people who make babies like mosquitoes and leave them on the mercy of the world.
This disparity is beyond my understanding. I just can’t understand why do people create lives of they don’t want to sustain that life.

No comments: