Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Of vacation, journeys and (missed) plans

I am back after long vacations! Today is going be spent savoring on sweets and chocos from all over the world (some people returning from US) :-).

It was hell of vacations, I say. I didn’t want to spend the furlough period (that’s what the vacations are called in my company) at home so the obvious plan was to go to Mumbai. The place I love and miss very much. Since I had very less time (3 and half days to meet 3 uncles and numerous friends and do shopping too!), I had planned the whole trip again and again so that I won’t miss a thing. But as it is rightly said … ‘the more you plan more things are bound to go haywire’. As per original plan I was going to stay for couple of days at home then go to Nani’s place and from there to Mumbai stay there for 4 days and head back to Bangalore.

Plans started missing right from the moment I stepped out to catch a train back home. I was on the road at around 8:20pm to catch a train at 10:20pm. There were hardly any empty autos and available autowallas were true to Bangalore tradition, simply refusing to come to the railway station. I was almost in tears. Finally a friend dropped me to the station, just in time. Worst part was the train started almost 30 mins late :-(.

At home, it was fun fighting with sis, meeting school friends and lots of gyaan from mom. My first greeting at home was “What have to done to your hair!” (my dear mom of course :-) ). We were supposed to leave on Wednesday morning for Nanded, my nani’s (mom’s mom) place and catch train for Mumbai from there. Sis was also planning to leave at the same time. But lazy gal wouldn’t get up in the morning so her departure was delayed and so was ours. My nani is always over-enthu when it comes to treating her grandchildren. She wants to make 100 different dishes at the same time. This time was no different :-). But whatever she makes is too delicious to resist to eat.

Left for Mumbai by train on Thursday evening. When we had reached near Jalna, a fellow commuter informed that there was a train accident near Manmad station and the train might be delayed. We thought this might be some minor station and traffic should be resumed soon. It turned out to be a major one… a carriage train and passenger train brushed each other, fortunately no lived were lost. We were held at Jalna station from 9pm till well after midnight when the finally announced that the train has been cancelled and it would not go any further. Bullshit! What were supposed to do at the midnight! Fortunately there was another train coming from behind which would go till Aurangabad which is an hour’s journey from Jalna. So we decide to take halt at my uncle’s place leaving there. Rang him up at 1am telling we are coming. Once inside other train, the passengers had no idea that their train will go till Aurangabad (that’s like only half way to Mumbai) so they won’t let us even stand in the sleeper coach and the train was moving at snails pace. Mom was already tired by all this hustle. The train finally pulled at A’bad station at 2am and there were not many autowalhas again. Uncle came rubbing his eyes and we were home by 3am. I so much wanted to leave in the morning by bus but uncle wanted me to cancel the Mumbai plan altogether. Finally we convinced him to get tickets for evening bus. The bus was very nice, it had births just like train sleeper coach. What followed next two and half days was hopping from one uncles place to another and snatching few hrs to meet couple of friends (only :-(). If you idea of Mumbai geography, I was hopping from Vashi to Nerul to Dombivali and back which is like making 2-3 (or more) full rounds of Bangalore :-).

This trip gave me few realizations.
First that, with all the running around, I have visited almost 90% of my relatives residing in Maharashtra. The train wreck ensured my visit to A’bad which was not at all planned. I was meeting most of them after a gap of almost two years.

Second one; my relatives plus food makes a lethal combination. All their love is stuffed in food (I had to have lunch thrice a day!). Next time I plan a visit home I will be fasting for at least a week in advance to be able to digest all that food :-).

Third; I am very much ‘Bangalore’d. Here I am big advocate for how good Mumbai is and all. But there I found myself advocating for Bangalore, trying to educate people about Bangalore culture and comparing everything with Bangalore; road conditions, traffic discipline, autowalha’s and people’s attitude in general, the language, lifestyle. I don’t speak ‘Mumbaiya’ language anymore L. It was actually hard to digest for a while that people around me speak a language that I can understand :-) … I felt as if I was in a wonderland!

I MUST not end without saying thanks to two of my sweetest friends. When leaving for home, I was not able to get a single auto. I called up U asking if he could drop me to the station. Poor guy was all hungry, tired from day’s work and had almost reached home. He came right through and drove me to the station on his bike. It was bad bad ride in the heavy traffic and with my heavier luggage :-).
And while coming back to Bangalore, I was planning to meet another friend at the Bombay airport. I had called him there at 5 pm and had flight at 6:20pm. He came all the way from Andheri and I reached the airport at around 5:45pm due to traffic and timing miscalculations giving me just enough time to say “Hi” and “Bbye” in same breath. And he didn’t complain a bit.

Ahh… I want to go back there again!

2 comments:

Shirsha said...

va cation is all over, eh!? :(

Unknown said...

Yeah... its all over and we are back to the office :-(